A 27-year-old man slipped into a coma and underwent 30 surgeries after being bitten by a mosquito.
Sebastian Rotschke was admitted to the ICU and spent four weeks in a coma after he was bitten by an Asian tiger mosquito.
Sebastian had blood poisoning and was placed in a coma, in Roedermark, Germany, according to local media.
The 27-year-old suffered from several issues including suffering from liver, kidney, heart and lung failure at various moments.
He also had to undergo a skin transplant to his thigh as an abscess had formed on his left thigh.
“I haven’t been abroad. The bite must have happened here,” Sebastian was quoted as saying by Daily Star.
He was bitten by a mosquito in the summer of 2021. He suffered from flu-like symptoms once he became sick.
He added, “Then the pure escalation began. I became bedridden, barely made it to the bathroom, had a fever, couldn’t eat. I thought it was coming to an end. Suddenly I saw that my grey sweatpants were completely soaked. All of a sudden, a huge abscess had formed on my left thigh.”
Doctors took his tissue sample for tests which showed that a bacteria called Serratia marcescens had eaten away half of his thigh.
“The doctors very quickly guessed that the Asian tiger mosquito bite was the cause of the whole thing and called in a specialist,” he said.
Sebastian underwent more than 30 operations and two of his toes were partially amputated. He said that he is “fine so far.”
He warned others and said, “Go to the doctor in good time – it’s better to have one too many than too few. Even a small sting can become fatal!”